Monday, February 23, 2009

Z tested, Mother approved- "Mini Glider" Balance Bike



Note that a balance bike differs from a normal bike because it doesn't have pedals or training wheels. The child pushes with their feet, eventually gliding as they learn to balance.

This balance bike was the end result of Zara saving her money for over a year to buy a "big kid bike". We've now had it for nearly 2 months and I have to say it was a great purchase. Zara rides her bike almost every day. Daniel and I are amazed by how quickly her balance has improved. With the skills she is developing on this bike, we are confident that she'll be able to ride a 2 wheeler with pedals well before the average training wheel user.

Here is a video of Zara the day she got her bike.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Here she is after 2 months of practice!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Daniel and I did quite a bit of research to find just the right balance bike. We wanted one that looked like a "real big kid bike" and yet didn't cost a small fortune. We finally decided on this PV Glide- Mini Glider from Costco.com Zara was thrilled that it came in pink and looks like a big kid bike! Daniel and I were thrilled about the price, the ease of putting it together, and the fact that it only weighs 8lbs. The lightweight makes it easy for Zara to maneuver and not get hurt much when she crashes. Being small and light also allows us to throw the glider in the back of the van or on a stroller, thus making it easy for us to take it along to the park.

If you are considering a bike for your preschooler, a balance bike is the way to go!

2 comments:

Erica said...

I have seen those, but it's so nice to hear of someone who has one. I wondered how they really worked and it looks like Zara has caught on beautifully!

Valerie said...

Oh Costco what can't you sell us? It's very cool and how nice that she's saved her money for it. Chloes bank is getting full and her and Stacey were talking over a "large" purchase this morning.