Sunday, February 15, 2009

Week in review- not much "school" this week

We had a lot going on this week and did more "unschooling" than structured activities. The weather has been gorgeous down here and we spent a lot of time playing outside.

Monday- We took both girls to the Dr, Zara for her allergies & Zoey to get a referral for her eyes. We are not much for well-baby checks since we are selectively delaying vaccinations, however we have some concerns and need to get medical input. I have to say this was our best military pediatric experience to date! We had back to back appointments for the girls with the same provider, which translated into 30 solid minutes of her listening and focusing on our concerns. We weren't questioned at all about vaccinations and the Dr treated us like the well-educated parents we are.

The rest of Monday was spent outside, cleaning up the garage and enjoying the weather.

Tuesday- Zara had a friend over in the morning, while I worked around the house. Zoey has been a bit under the weather this week so she also required extra attention. Tuesday afternoon was the blood draw for Zara's allergy tests.

Wednesday- We spent all day at the park with our homeschool buddies. We let the kids ride bike and feed the ducks, went for a mile long nature walk on the trails, threw stones in the river, and had a picnic.

It was great! Teachable moments just seemed to present themselves. Comparing leaves was a hit, check out this half nibbled one that Zara found.

We also talked about water currents, rings in tree stumps showing us how old they were, and even tones of sound thanks to this cool sculpture.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Thursday- Zara had gymnastics Mom's day out, which included a Valentine's party! While she was away I took the opportunity to run some errands and then have down time with the baby. By this point I had started feeling a bit under the weather too, perhaps just from a tiring week and taking care of a fussy baby.

Friday- The neighbor girls had early release from school, so they spent the day with us. Zara had a blast with her friends. They did playdough, dress-up, and took turns playing on Zara's computer. After her friends went home, Zara and I attempted Stained Glass Valentine Hearts, however ours did not turn out so well. When we tried to cut the wax paper/melted crayon into hearts, the wax broke into pieces and it was just a mess. Oh well, Zara enjoys the process of creating way more than the products anyway.
This is the only picture I took, since I had cranky Zoey on my back while trying to help Zara.


We didn't work on a specific theme this week, just spent time enjoying and learning from life.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I think 'down' weeks are good for everyone. I hope you're feeling better!