Sunday, February 8, 2009

Weekly Wrap Up

As always our week flew by, with nary a chance to blog about it. So here is a summery of what we've been up to. Zara is still very interested in weather and seasons, thus most of our "school" pertained to that this week.
We read this book and acted it out with the tree props that came in our library "ROAR" (reach out and read) literacy kit.


This kit also included the hilarious book
, which we read no less than a half dozen times this week, cracking up every time!

I couldn't resist this
Beleduc - 4 Seasons Puzzle when it was on sale, perfect toy for making seasons hand's on learning.

Zara did this puzzle 3 times in a row the first time I brought it out & has played with it nearly every day since. The quality is magnificent and I'm already eying the body puzzle.

We spent time reading another fabulous Gail Gibbons book

We discussed the Earth in relation to the Sun and touched on the concept of Earth's rotation, our large solar system map was quite helpful here. I can tell the rotation/axis concept is still a bit advanced for Zara so I followed her lead and we skimmed through parts of the book.

While at Michael's last week Zara helped me choose pieces for another frame activity (she loved doing the last one).

She painted it purple and glued on the pictures all by herself & then looked up how to spell the names of the seasons so I could write them.

Once again, less than $3 for a project that will stick around to be a visual reminder of the seasons!

We did coffee-filter snowflakes, got the idea here.

We used liquid watercolors and painted the snowflakes before folding and cutting. I got out fancy scrapbook scissors which Zara thought was awesome! She cut the 2 lowest snowflakes all by herself!

Zara is very into cutting, thanks Melissa at Chasing Cheerios for this idea!
I am so thrilled not to be finding a million pieces of paper on the floor waiting to be devoured by the paper eating baby monster!

Tuesday was our regular playdate & Zara 1st ever optometrist visit. Thursday was gymnastics mom's day out. Plus I was extra busy with baby (more on The Diva in another post) & also getting ready for a garage sale this week. So all in all I think we did pretty well.

I got the idea for "Weekly Wrap Up" from Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers

7 comments:

Jen said...

I'm tagging this in my Outlook (I get your posts via RSS feed) - SUCH great ideas, and I'm sure I'll be using just about every one of them!

I have a rather ignorant question - what is "ROAR," and is it something sponsored just by your local library, or is it a nation-wide thing? I've never heard of it and I'm intrigued!

Erica said...

We love Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, it is a hilarious and fun book!

Love the season work, very functional and fun :)

Melissa said...

You've had a busy week! We have the beleduc body puzzle, and O LOVES it. One day I'll get around to posting about it :) A commenter on my cutting post suggested offering supplies for our cutters to make collages out of their cuttings. I thought it was a great idea, but we haven't tried it yet. Just thought it might be something Zara would enjoy :)

Dawn said...

OK - I'm bookmarking this for the ideas I NEED them! Thank you!

Amber said...

Thanks for your comments gals!

Jen- I'm not sure about the ROAR kits, but I will chat with the children's librarian about them today when we head over there.

Melissa- Great idea! I think I'll make Z some cutting strips out of colored construction paper and provide a piece of tagboard and glue on her tray.

Valerie said...

We also love Cloudy with a Change of Meatballs.

Jen - our library has the themed boxes too. I would just call your library and ask. We have to pick up ours from the main library, but it's not far.

Shana said...

I just want you to know that I am in awe of you. You are such a great mom and inspire me to want to be a better mom too. Love you.