Monday, March 16, 2009

Ocean Theme- Intro day

We are studying the Ocean in a co-op format with our close homeschooling friends. It is wonderful to have a friend to share the lesson planning, preparation, and instruction with. In my opinion cooperative schooling with like minded families is the ideal way to educate our children. Plus it is so much fun for the kiddos to learn with some friends!

Before the kids came over I set up a variety of Ocean themed activities on the school table, including puzzles, magnet board and sea creature magnets, and fishing activity bag.


We had circle time where we discussed with the girls what they might hear, see, smell, touch, and taste at the Ocean complete with a salty pistachio to taste. Then we read some pages about the zones of the Ocean from books we had checked out from the library. We used 3 shades of blue construction paper cut into waves to make a mural depicting the Ocean Zones. The girls had a great time helping to glue the "water" on the mural. At a later time I covered the whole thing with modge podge and applied the labels for the zones.



Each girl got some "take home" worksheets relating to the topic. I must say I adore my printer that can make copies!

2 comments:

Erica said...

Amber, that looks like so much fun! My boys really enjoyed our ocean unit, it's even funner to share it with friends :)

Valerie said...

I agree about homeschool co-ops. What better way to share information, workload and let's face it some days us mommy's just don't feel it so having a buddy to help out would be so great.