Saturday, March 14, 2009

20 year vetran homeschooler = My Mom!


I am beyond blessed to have a mother who has been homeschooling for the past 20 years! She started with my older sister and I when we were in 1st & 2nd grades and is still going strong with the "baby" of the family who is now 9 years old. I love listening to her wisdom and being strengthened by her encouragement. She has never pressured me into continuing the homeschooling legacy, but I can tell she is thrilled to have someone to pass on her wonderful materials to. This past visit she passed on an entire set of MacMillian Early Science Activities, which is a theme based curriculum with tons of well designed activities for each topic. I can already tell we'll be getting lots of use out of this set.

We also received many more homemade actives she created using the ideas in "Do Touch" by LaBritta Gilbert

Mom and I also spent quite a while discussing the CSMP math curriculum that she used during the primary grades with all of her kids. I have many fond memories of this math program, I actually enjoyed math as a kid! I am pretty sure we will be starting the Kindergarten level of CSMP with Zara this fall. Because CSMP is no longer used in public schools, the curriculum is available for printing courtesy of Buffalo State's CSMP preservation project.

In total I came home with a 40lb box of curriculum, activities, and other materials! I can't imagine embarking on this journey of homeschooling without your knowledge, support, and hand-me-downs. Thanks Mom!

4 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm so jealous. What an awesome resource.

Melissa said...

You are one lucky mama!!! I hope you'll post some of the activites from Do Touch :)

Dawn said...

So, uh, does your mom do consulting?? ;)

Erica said...

Wow, that is a great place for support then! Looks like she passed on some nice schooling items for you too :)