Dear Ms. Broda:
Thank you for sharing with me your concern that the ban on lead in children's products imposed by the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (HR 4040) might improperly and unjustly impact small toymakers. I'm always pleased to hear from my constituents and to know what you think of our federal laws and their enforcement.
There is not question that when HR 4040 was written and when we passed it, it was aimed at protecting our children from the kind of irresponsible practices we have seen only too much of in recent years, where children's toys were covered in lead-based paint. Congressman Bobby Rush (D-IL), who introduced HR 4040, wanted to be absolutely certain that there were no loopholes in the law or exemptions, but he also was careful to put in exemptions for the small companies that make products that no one would consider a threat. The law was not written to impact artisans who make wooden toys and rag dolls. Just this week, staffers of the Consumer Product Safety Commission have made recommendations that the Commission exempt such products from the strict scrutiny standards, and there is no question that proper enforcement of the law will protect our children without harming small businesses. It is my hope that the Commission will act promptly to ensure that these companies need not fear over-regulation, and I will be watching closely to see what steps are taken.
I am glad to know that you will be watching, too.
A safe and healthy new year to you and your girls and, please, do keep in touch.
Sincerely,
Charles A. Gonzalez
Member of Congress
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Check out this reply to my letter about the CPSIA
I blogged about the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act here. This issue inspired me to activism and I wrote letter to my Senators and Congressman. I received replies from each of them, but this one from Congressman Gonzalez was by far the best. He actually took the time to address my concerns about small businesses rather than just play up the "HR 4040 is safer for our kids" line. If any of you decided to write to your lawmakers, please do share what you hear back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I thought I'd commented on this a few days back, but blargh, there's nothing here. My brain is so frazzled.
I'm really encouraged by the response you got - thanks so much for sharing it. I'm hoping that he's right, and that the outlook isn't as bleak as the one that has been painted for small businesses and individual artisans.
Post a Comment